The Day of Action for Care will highlight the urgent need for adequate investment in equitable, quality public health and care systems.
Ottawa (26 Oct. 2020) – The Global Unions, a partnership between the International Trade Union Confederation, Global Union Federations and the Trade Union Advisory Committee to the OECD, have declared October 29 as a Global Day of Action for Care.
The Day of Action for Care will highlight the urgent need for adequate investment in equitable, quality public health and care systems. It is also an opportunity to acknowledge the enormous contributions that workers in health, care and education sectors have and continue to make.
ITUC encouraging workers to take action on a caring economy
The International Trade Union Confederation is encouraging workers around the world to take action for a caring economy which includes
• investment in public health and care – including mental health, childcare, early childhood education, elderly care and other social care services that serve all our communities
• the creation of millions of decent, green jobs in health, care and early childhood education
• respect of the right to freedom of association and to collective bargaining for all health, care and education workers, whether in the formal or informal economy
• decent pay and working conditions, including equal pay for work of equal value, training opportunities and occupational health and safety
• equity and non-discrimination in recruitment, retention, access to training and promotion opportunities
• universal, gender-responsive social protection available to all workers regardless of employment status or migrant status, race, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation, and inclusive of workers in the informal economy
• availability and accessibility by all to quality public health, care and education services
The CLC highlighting their key priorities
The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) will be highlighting their key priorities in the Forward Together campaign which includes
• investing in the care economy
• strengthening our health care system
• setting standards for long-term care
• building a national child care system
The CLC is also planning a webinar on disaster-proofing Canada’s social safety net during that week.
The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) is one of Canada's largest labour organizations with over 390,000 members. Our mission is to improve the lives of working families and to build a stronger Canada by ensuring our common wealth is used for the common good. — NUPGE