This Friday is the last day Canadians can contribute to relief in Haiti and have the federal government contribute the same amount in matching funds.
Ottawa (11 Feb. 2010) - The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) and its Component unions across the country have contributed more than $140,000 to date in relief contributions to victims of the earthquake in Haiti.
Many locals and committees of NUPGE Components are also engaged in separate fund-raising activities in various areas across the country.
These efforts do not take into account the many individual contributions made across the country by NUPGE members.
This Friday is the last day Canadians can contribute and have the federal government contribute the same amount in matching funds.
There are a number of organizations like Oxfam Canada, Canadian Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, Partners in Health and UNICEF Canada working hard in Haiti right now to do everything humanly possible to help the Haitian people rebuild their devastated lives.
“These are very difficult and emotional times and it is important that we do our part to give the people of Haiti the support they need as they go through yet another catastrophe,” says James Clancy, NUPGE's national president. "I want to thank all our members for the part they have played in the national outpouring of generosity we have seen from Canadians everywhere."
NUPGE includes the following Components across the country:
- British Columbia Government and Service Employees' Union
- Canadian Union of Brewery and General Workers
- Health Sciences Association of Alberta
- Health Sciences Association of British Columbia
- Manitoba Government and General Employees' Union
- New Brunswick Union of Public and Private Employees
- Newfoundland & Labrador Association of Public & Private Employees
- Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union
- Prince Edward Island Union of Public Service Employees
- Saskatchewan Government and General Employees' Union
- BC Ferry & Marine Workers' Union (an affiliate of the BCGEU)
- Brewery, Winery & Distillery Workers Union (affiliate BCGEU)
- Compensation Employees' Union (an affiliate of BCGEU)
- Grain Workers Union Local 333 (an affiliate of the BCGEU)
The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) is one of Canada's largest labour organizations with over 340,000 members. Our mission is to improve the lives of working families and to build a stronger Canada by ensuring our common wealth is used for the common good. NUPGE
NUPGE gives $25,000 to Haiti's earthquake victims