Five-year agreement provides for wage increases, employment security, protection from contracting out and improvements to benefits.
Vancouver (20 May 2014) — After negotiating since March 14, the bargaining team for members of the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union (BCGEU/NUPGE) has reached a tentative agreement with the Broadmead Care Society.
BCGEU/NUPGE members will vote soon on the new agreement at Broadmead Care Society
The goal during these negotiations was to reach an agreement that reflects members’ priorities while minimizing changes due to the new status of Broadmead as a standalone health care facility. BCGEU/NUPGE has worked hard with the employer to try to maintain the benefits members had in the public service master agreement and to gain fair and reasonable increases in the new contract.
The key elements of the deal are:
- Term of Agreement - a five-year agreement that will expire on March 3, 2019.
- Employment Security – employment security provisions are amended and renewed for all employees who have regular status as of April 1, 2011.
- Contracting Out – the employer has agreed to not to contract out any work presently performed by employees covered by the agreement which would result in the laying off of employees.
- Hours of Work – the paid hours of work for those positions that are filled 24 hours per day and 7 days per week (health care workers and licensed practical nurses) will be 1920 hours based on a 7.5 hour work day. For the employees covered by this change the new schedule will mean an increase in salary of approximately five per cent.
- Wages – an increase to wages of at least 5.5 per cent over the life of the agreement. As well, the employer has agreed to provide an Economic Stability Dividend as is negotiated between the Health Employers Association of B.C. (HEABC) and the Facilities Bargaining Association representing unions in the health care sector.
- Benefits – increases to auxiliary health and welfare benefits, increases to shift premiums as well as other allowances.
The bargaining committee is unanimous in recommending members vote to accept this tentative agreement. The complete text of the agreement will be prepared for ratification meetings that will be held for all members between May 23 and May 26.
The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) is one of Canada's largest labour organizations with over 340,000 members. Our mission is to improve the lives of working families and to build a stronger Canada by ensuring our common wealth is used for the common good. NUPGE