Proposed new agreement reached with the help of a provincially-appointed mediator.
Thunder Bay (2 Nov. 2010) - Negotiators for the Northern Ontario School of Medicine and Local 677 of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU/NUPGE) have reached a new tentative contract settlement.
The bargaining team for the union, representing more than 150 office, administrative and technical staff, and negotiators for the employer have recommended the deal be approved. OPSEU members will conduct a ratification vote on Nov. 5. Details will not be available until both parties ratify the agreement.
Agreement was reached Tuesday following marathon bargaining sessions under the supervision of a provincially-appointed mediator.
The workers, who have been on strike since Aug. 15, last month rejected an earlier tentative agreement reached by negotiators.
The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) is one of Canada's largest labour organizations with over 340,000 members. Our mission is to improve the lives of working families and to build a stronger Canada by ensuring our common wealth is used for the common good. NUPGE
• NOSM employees reject tentative contract deal
• Tentative settlement finally reached in NOSM strike
• NOSM talks break off with only limited progress
• Mediation in NOSM strike will resume Sept. 14-17
• Mediation scheduled in strike by NOSM employees
• OPSEU pledges solidarity to striking NOSM workers
• NOSM workers walk after negotiations break down
• NOSM workers vote 97% in favour of strike action
• NOSM employees choose OPSEU as their union