Bargaining committee recommends acceptance of tentative agreement.
Vancouver (06 March 2013) – After two days of mediation on March 1 and March 2, the members of the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union (BCGEU/NUPGE) employed by the Simon Fraser University Childcare Society reached a tentative settlement.
Highlight of the new contract include:
- wage increases of three per cent on March 30, 2013 and three per cent on September 6, 2014;
- reclassification of all Lead Teachers to Senior Early Child Educators effective March 30;
- a transportation allowance equal to the parking rate for all regular employees, effective March 30;
- an increased notice period where a regular employee’s hours are reduced;
- the addition of Family Day to the list of paid holidays;
- improved language around requests for medical notes;
- an agreement on an approved sick leave form;
- the accrual of vacation for employees filling temporary vacancies; and
- an increase to the vehicle allowance to $0.52 per kilometer.
A ratification meeting and vote will be held on March 12 from 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. in the Auditorium of the BCGEU Lower Mainland Area Office, 4925 Canada Way, Burnaby, B.C. The bargaining committee is recommending acceptance of the new agreement.
Full details of the tentative Agreement will be available at the meeting.
The National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) is one of Canada's largest labour organizations with over 340,000 members. Our mission is to improve the lives of working families and to build a stronger Canada by ensuring our common wealth is used for the common good. NUPGE